SubjectRe: SmartMedia translation layer?
Matthew Dharm <> wrote:
> However, the usb-storage development team is working on implementing
> support for a USB SmartMedia reader/writer. To do this, we need to have
> code which can take care of this re-mapping system. We're wondering if
> anyone out there has such code allready (perhaps even in use with Linux).

Not and have it architecturally independant. IIRC, ioremap()
of a PCI memory region must be used on all architectures, and
simply dereferencing the pointer to that memory won't work
on many architectures - with the *notable* exception of x86.

I would recommend creating a block device, where each
block corresponds to a flash memory segment. Then, in your
block handler, use the readl()/writel() IO macros to access
the remapped PCI region and thanser data to the blocks request.

Simple, easy, and would allow the mounting of a FAT filesystem
on the SmartMedia...

IIRC, there should be hooks in the block layer to allow
you to do control the re-ordering of blocks to minimize the
number of write cycles.

Jason McMullan, Senior Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
412.422.8077 tel, 412.656.3519 cell, 415.701.0792 fax,
Linuxcare. Support for the revolution.