SubjectSmartMedia translation layer?
Does anyone out there have a translation later for SmartMedia?

For those not in the know, SmartMedia uses its own physical format which
tags blocks of data with control information that allows a simple form of
memory-remapping and management to provide robustness in a flash-based
removable media device.

All in all, it's really quite slick and very technically cool.

However, the usb-storage development team is working on implementing
support for a USB SmartMedia reader/writer. To do this, we need to have
code which can take care of this re-mapping system. We're wondering if
anyone out there has such code allready (perhaps even in use with Linux).

If not, we're prepared to write our own management system... but if there
is existing code out there we can leverage, it would be really nice.

Matt

P.S. Does anyone know of any other SmartMedia devices out there for which
this translation-layer might be useful? Perhaps we can modularize it
somewhere commonly accessable in the future.

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm@one-eyed-alien.net
Senior Engineer, QCP Inc. Work: mdharm@qcpi.com

C: Like the Furby?
DP: He gives me the creeps. Think the SPCA will take him?
-- Cobb and Dust Puppy
User Friendly, 1/2/1999

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.029 / U:1.492 seconds]