    SubjectRe: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs
    tytso@MIT.EDU wrote:

    > ../linux

    I really like this one, I work a lot with embedded systems and I've
    patched most of my development trees to use this convention. It means
    that I can just check out my CVS tree and get identical binaries
    (assuming the same compilers are used) anyway.

    For example, this is how the top directory looks for a small system
    using a Disk On Chip (DOC) flash and a PCMCIA controller:

    bash$ ls /export/project:
    CVS/ flash_doc/ pcmcia_cs/
    Makefile linux/

    And then the Makefile for the DOC looks like this, the TOPDIR define
    is the important one, and to get the right compile options I'm using a
    trick I think I've learned from the linux-mtd package:

    # Makefile for a block device driver
    # for the DiskOnChip flash module from M-Systems
    # Copyright (C) 1998 IGEL GmbH

    ifndef TOPDIR
    TOPDIR:=$(shell cd ../linux && pwd)

    make -C $(TOPDIR) SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules

    rm -f *.o .*.flags

    O_TARGET := fl.o
    O_OBJS := flobj.o fldrvlnx.o
    M_OBJS = $(O_TARGET)

    fl.o: flobj.o

    flobj.o: flobj.obj
    rm -f flobj.o
    cat flobj.obj >flobj.o

    # Real actions are started from Rules.make
    include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make

    So for a naive user who just wants to compile a module on his RedHat
    system, tell him to unpack the module into /usr/src and assuming that
    /usr/src/linux contains the current kernel source it'll just work.

    For those who want to do special tricks it's always possible to do a:
    TOPDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.2.17pre6 make
    to use a specific kernel.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:8.952 seconds]