SubjectRe: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs
tytso@MIT.EDU wrote:

> ../linux

I really like this one, I work a lot with embedded systems and I've
patched most of my development trees to use this convention. It means
that I can just check out my CVS tree and get identical binaries
(assuming the same compilers are used) anyway.

For example, this is how the top directory looks for a small system
using a Disk On Chip (DOC) flash and a PCMCIA controller:

bash$ ls /export/project:
CVS/ flash_doc/ pcmcia_cs/
Makefile linux/

And then the Makefile for the DOC looks like this, the TOPDIR define
is the important one, and to get the right compile options I'm using a
trick I think I've learned from the linux-mtd package:

===

# Makefile for a block device driver
# for the DiskOnChip flash module from M-Systems
#
# Copyright (C) 1998 IGEL GmbH

ifndef TOPDIR
TOPDIR:=$(shell cd ../linux && pwd)
endif

all:
make -C $(TOPDIR) SUBDIRS=`pwd` modules

clean:
rm -f *.o .*.flags

O_TARGET := fl.o
O_OBJS := flobj.o fldrvlnx.o
M_OBJS = $(O_TARGET)
MOD_LIST_NAME := NO_MODULES

fl.o: flobj.o

flobj.o: flobj.obj
rm -f flobj.o
cat flobj.obj >flobj.o

# Real actions are started from Rules.make
include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make

===

So for a naive user who just wants to compile a module on his RedHat
system, tell him to unpack the module into /usr/src and assuming that
/usr/src/linux contains the current kernel source it'll just work.

For those who want to do special tricks it's always possible to do a:
TOPDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.2.17pre6 make
to use a specific kernel.

/Christer