    SubjectRe: Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread
    On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, James Sutherland wrote:

    > Nope. Just have a normal system which does NOT allow the restricted
    > commands, and on the rare occasion I need to reflash the firmware or BIOS,
    > reboot with a disk which allows me to. That's how I do it now, and that's
    > how it should be done, IMO.

    Personally I'd like to see a Linux system *not* dependant on DOS for
    such things. The idea of a vendor-specific key to enable writing to the
    flash makes alot of sense to me. So does a jumper, but a jumper requires
    more manual intervention and probably taking down the machine, which is
    something I don't like doing. :)

    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:29.548 seconds]