    SubjectRe: disk-destroyer.c
    On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:02:09AM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:

    > Let's rephrase that a little more accurately, shall we? "Andre knows
    > perfectly well that MOST disks out there will have their warranty
    > invalidated by running software which allows unrestricted access to the
    > RESERVED vendor-specific functions in the ATA spec."

    Not true. The warranty will be invalidated only after these
    vendor-specific commands are USED. Otherwise you'd get your warranty
    void just by running the drive under DOS/W9x, because they offer no
    protection at all.

    These commands are firmware update, lowlevel format, get/set sector
    remapping and this stuff, and they're *very* useful - actually I revived
    a bunch of WD drives this way ... they were already too old for a WD
    serviceman to do this for free.

    > Even MS protects their customers from this sort of damage. Failure to do
    > so is fscking stupid, dangerous, and likely to end up with dead penguins
    > lining the road. It's even possible that just running Linux on an IDE HDD
    > will void your warranty ATM - do you REALLY want that??

    Not possible, really.

    --
    Vojtech Pavlik
    SuSE Labs