    SubjectRe: Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread
    On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, TimO wrote:

    > "H. Peter Anvin" wrote:
    > >
    > > Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10007212041090.15902-100000@master.linux-ide.org>
    > > By author: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
    > > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > > >
    > > > Everyone
    > > >
    > > > I am talking about attempting to invoke unknown vender specific commands
    > > > They do comply with the SPEC but are not part of the SPEC.
    > > > Since I do not have the priviledge of knowing these facts, but know they
    > > > exist. You can not allow a rouge driver attempt to invoke these commands.
    > > >

    > > A rogue driver can always do this by writing straight to the
    > > interface. I think a more serious issue is: what about a *buggy*
    > > drivers? However, what I am a bit unclear of is the following: will
    > > this patch prevent me from writing a driver which issues legitimate
    > > vendor-specific commands to control vendor-specific aspects of a
    > > particular piece of hardware? If so, that would be a very bad thing.
    > > However, if this patch is there to prevent buggy programs from issuing
    > > known-to-be-damaging commands by accient, then that is a Good
    > > Thing[TM].
    >
    > Vendor-specific commands would not be allowed through the kernel. A
    > specific program for a specific vendor would have to use RAW_IO; ie
    > for firmware upgrades.

    NO. They can/will use RAW_IO *IF* this is available to them. If not, they
    will have to provide a proper kernel driver for their hardware. I know
    which I prefer...

    > > I personally would have to agree with the people that say this isn't a
    > > security issue, but I *do* believe that protecting buggy programs (we
    > > never have any of those, right?) from causing permanent damage to the
    > > hardware is a very useful thing.
    >
    > This is EXACTLY what Andre is trying to accomplish.

    Yep - WTF is wrong with that?

    James.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.022 / U:0.072 seconds]