SubjectRe: What's wrong with IDE patch and what proper solution shouldbe...
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Chris Kloiber wrote:

> I know it's true. I have run the disk-destroyer program. Twice.
>
> I compiled a 2.4.0-test5-pre2 kernel with an earlier version of Andre's
> patch and actually ran the disk-destroyer program as a test. Andre
> specifically did not include the fry-your-drive codes in the test
> program, but on the first try it sucessfully hosed the MBR and partition
> table (my /dev/hda1 was/is swap, so I don't know how much of that went
> bye-bye too). After a fresh install of Red Hat 6.2, I (glutton for
> punishment that I am) recompiled 2.4.0-test5-pre2 with the latest patch
> (has it been restored to www.kernel.org?) and now my system can survive
> the disk-destroyer (The drive still makes god awful noise when run, but
> no permanant damage occurs). I captured the output of the disk-destroyer
> and sent it to Andre with a list of my hardware (mobo & drive models) so
> he could further refine the patch. I wish more people would get off
> their high horses and help out in any way they can. I am a lowly
> installation support technician an not a kernel-god who dreams code in
> their sleep, but I will help in any way I can to improve Linux as a
> whole. Will you?

Uhm, it sounds like you havn't actually clobbered any of your
disks permanently, which is what the patch is all about. Sounds like
you discovered you could do the basic equivilant of
'cat /dev/random > /dev/hda1' and have it kill your system. Guess we
need to go disable write ability, eh?

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.070 / U:0.244 seconds]