    SubjectRe: Does this help explain better?? ATA/IDE Thread
    "H. Peter Anvin" wrote:

    > Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.10.10007212041090.15902-100000@master.linux-ide.org>
    > By author: Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > Everyone
    > >
    > > I am talking about attempting to invoke unknown vender specific commands
    > > They do comply with the SPEC but are not part of the SPEC.
    > > Since I do not have the priviledge of knowing these facts, but know they
    > > exist. You can not allow a rouge driver attempt to invoke these commands.
    > >

    > A rogue driver can always do this by writing straight to the
    > interface. I think a more serious issue is: what about a *buggy*
    > drivers? However, what I am a bit unclear of is the following: will
    > this patch prevent me from writing a driver which issues legitimate
    > vendor-specific commands to control vendor-specific aspects of a
    > particular piece of hardware? If so, that would be a very bad thing.
    > However, if this patch is there to prevent buggy programs from issuing
    > known-to-be-damaging commands by accient, then that is a Good
    > Thing[TM].

    Vendor-specific commands would not be allowed through the kernel. A
    specific program for a specific vendor would have to use RAW_IO; ie
    for firmware upgrades.

    > I personally would have to agree with the people that say this isn't a
    > security issue, but I *do* believe that protecting buggy programs (we
    > never have any of those, right?) from causing permanent damage to the
    > hardware is a very useful thing.

    This is EXACTLY what Andre is trying to accomplish.

    > -hpa
    >
    > --
    > <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private!
    > "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot."
    > http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt

    --- Tim

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:1.868 seconds]