SubjectRe: The big IDE fight in a different light
On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Scott Long wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Scott Long wrote:
> >
> > > I think the kernel people need to remember one very important thing: you
> > > are no longer working for yourselves, as a hobby. Your ideals about what
> >
> > Wrong.
> >
> > > So don't try to convince me that *I* am wrong by giving me technical
> > > spew. It won't work. And it won't work for the many other users out
> >
> > The point is to be technically correct.
> >
> > > And so in conclusion, I, a "mere user," want this safeguard in the
> > > kernel. If it's not there, I won't use the system. Period. BeOS is nice
> > > too. A simple API, good threading, good SMP. Just what I need.
> >
> > Cya.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> I am not sure that the rest of the list will agree with you. This is a
> very dangerous attitude to be taking.

I hardly see it as such. Linux folk didn't come to you and ask
you to run Linux. One of the reasons Linux is so good/useful is because
the ones who developed it cared about being technically correct, and not
about the political crap.

> Linux is not computer science anymore. Linux is running thousands of
> real-world systems. People depend on the stability of these systems.

That's their problem. If they chose Linux, fine, if not, guess
what? That's fine too. Technical correctness is what brought people
to Linux in the first place, tossing it out the window because we're
scared users are going to leave is downright idiotic.

> 3) They will switch to something different that they believe does not
> contain the same flaw.

Of course, I'd be curious if anything existed that did not
contain this flaw. If you can get to a point where you can execute
arbitrary code on the machine chances are pretty good, no matter what
OS, you can do the same damn thing. Sure, you can put checks in and
whatnot and try to not let it happen, but in the end I'd be very
suprised if you could totally stop it w/o fixing the broken hardware.

> Your disregard for user opinion sounds like Microsoft's disregard for user
> opinion.

That's nice.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.075 / U:0.092 seconds]