    SubjectRe: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)
    On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:

    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:
    > >
    > > If you try to pass raw taskfile command to the drive and you have no clue.
    > > The hardware will BUCK 99% of the time.
    > >
    > > Using the kernel IOCTL, it BUCKS 5% of the time and the damage is done.
    > > Baically, you want me to continue helping you destroy your hardware.
    > > I will not be a part of that!
    > Care to give a little better explanation? What do you mean by
    > 'BUCK'?

    BUCK means to kick back the command as invalid or bad.

    RODEO you get BUCKED off a horse or bull if you do not hang on correctly.

    > consider your patch? Show it's merits, don't threaten them that you'll
    > try and destroy them if you don't get your way.

    I do not have to some script-kiddie will do it on their own now.
    The only option is to protect against it now.

    Since no one trusted that, I know what I am doing and required full
    disclosure before I could complete the protection, we have to suffer the
    outcome and work to prevent it now.

    The merits are that it prevents you (ROOT included) from doing thinks that
    violate the SPEC that the sub-system must follow to comply with the
    hardware. You will now argue that I have no right to impose such rules.
    With is view, screw everyone! All you paranoid unix children that think
    you as sysadmin are all knowledgeble and afraid to give up control of what
    you never knew you could do, in such a clean way, need to grow a little.

    I have now given you the handgrende, pulled the pin and threw it away and
    will now walk away. Your choice is to use the steel-plate-armor I left
    you as a sheild or DIE......I really do not care!

    I offered you the sheild and you turned it down.
    A script-kiddie would just laugh and watch, because they knew about it
    before me and you are luck their pipe bombs are duds.

    Andre Hedrick
    The Linux ATA/IDE guy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:0.368 seconds]