    SubjectRe: disk-destroyer.c
    In <Pine.LNX.4.21.0007221745540.21586-100000@asdf.capslock.lan> Mike A. Harris ( wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Steve VanDevender wrote:

    >>It's not a matter of whether the kernel should allow such a thing; even
    >>if the kernel itself doesn't allow such commands to be sent to the disk,
    >>that isn't enough to prevent it from happening via other relatively
    >>simple means.
    >>The kernel simply can't be expected to protect hardware from itself. If
    >>a piece of hardware can be made to destroy itself, it's bad hardware,
    >>not bad kernel programming.

    > But the problem then becomes the fact that there are 1000000000
    > pieces of this bad hardware out there that CAN be damaged.

    Yes. And guess what ? They CAN be damaged WITH proposed patch as well.

    > I agree, a purist view is that the hardware needs to be designed
    > better. Regardless of wether that occurs or not, there is
    > 100000000 pieces of badly designed hardware IN USE that CAN NOT
    > be fixed. So, if we can fix it in the OS, or at least block it
    > in some way, we have a win until new hardware doesn't suck.

    We can not. End of story.

    > I wonder if it is possible for all hardware that is flawed in
    > this matter to have new firmware which then fixes it from the
    > problem? In other words, IDE drive X that allows drive commands
    > to fry it: could a new firmware patch be applied that FIXES
    > this, and now the drive will only allow firmware patches and
    > other serious commands by checking a signature or something?

    > Just an idea..

    It's not always possible but yes, in some case it's possible. Still chances
    are VERY slim: if manufacturer designed such flawed hardware in first place
    chances are REAL high that this problem does not bother them at all so who
    will create such firmware ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:16.192 seconds]