    SubjectRe: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > * ->mmap() in file_operations, ->revalidate(), ->readlink() and
    > > ->follow_link() in inode_operations and all methods in dentry_operations
    > > are called without the BKL. Take yourself if you need it.
    > Is this true for drivers. If so the sound stuff will probably need work. Work
    > Im not doing.

    In the tree? Then it's done. Otherwise put lock_kernel() upon the entry to
    your ->release() and unlock_kernel() before each return from said

    > > * ->release() will be called without BKL. You need it - you take it.
    > You want it for 2.4 you fix the drivers.

    Which I did. But I _can't_ do it for 3rd-party code. If you know how one
    could locate all boxen belonging to developers of such code, break into
    each one, find their patches and do updates - pray tell, it should be
    interesting. In-tree code _had_ _been_ _updated_. If you can show a
    single time when I had submitted "oh, let's break everything and let
    maintainers fix it" kind of patch - you are welcome, name the version when
    it had happened and accept my deep apologies.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:7.952 seconds]