    SubjectRe: disk-destroyer.c
    Andre Hedrick <andre@linux-ide.org> writes:

    > At his point I do not give a damn about data, fs, backups......
    > This is pure hardware destruction that anyone can do.
    >
    > Why is this such a big fight?
    >
    > Does everybody want the kernel to be able to screw itself just by
    > blinking?

    The thing is, Western Digital has activeX apps on their site which
    will do low level Disk diagnostics, which means an activeX app can also
    be written to do a low level format (poorly!) or rewrite the firmware.
    If root can load a module or write to /dev/kmem there is nothing to
    prevent him doing anything to the hardware he feels like, driver or no
    driver. If someone gets root on a box then the "admin" did not take
    proper precautions, which makes it even less likely that he set
    capabilities to prevent a hostile root from "having his way."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:2.235 / U:0.196 seconds]