    SubjectRe: disk-destroyer.c
    On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Andre Hedrick wrote:

    > At his point I do not give a damn about data, fs, backups......
    > This is pure hardware destruction that anyone can do.
    > Why is this such a big fight?

    Because you're presenting it as a big deal and you're presenting a
    "solution" that is and can only be a minor deterrent.

    I for one am not at all surprised that there's a way for root to break a
    drive. I expect there are plenty of other ways too. I know of ways to
    destroy DIMMs and the X man pages warn about damaging your monitor with
    bad mode lines. VA Linux has a note on their hardware burn-in test suite
    page that they've had instances of machines catching on fire.

    > Does everybody want the kernel to be able to screw itself just by
    > blinking?

    No, of course not, but we also don't want to make large changes to the
    kernel to paper over a hole that we can't cement closed. Especially now.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.044 / U:0.332 seconds]