SubjectRe: TO HELL WITH IT THEN......(re: disk-destroyer.c)

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, David Ford wrote:
> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
>
> > Yes, do it micro$oft's way... Do you think that this is really hard to
> > discover? I have been recently reading T13 docs and I thought that it
> > would be nice to try some things (similar to destroy-disk.c) when I
> > have some time... now I'm really happy that I didn't have time to try
> > them... :-)
> >
> > Sendmail people once fixed something without documenting it in
> > changelog... and most of admins were too lazy to upgrade to new sendmail
> > because there weren'nt important changes... later there was exploit
> > using this fixed thing... get it?
> > By doing silent fixes you make people thing that they don't need to
> > upgrade... IMHO proper way of fixing security issues is the way of
> > how capabilities "bug" have been fixed...
> > Fast spreading of information have pros and cons, and you have to deal
> > with them... You know about some security hole... but malicious bastards
> > also...
>
> I didn't say don't document it and I didn't say don't make notice of it. I said do it
> the right way and fix it, give the distros a chance to patch it in and then announce
> it. This is the standard ~two week courtesy. It's rather irresponsible to release an
> exploit without people having a fix available, even if there are only a few hours
> between the two. The exploit should -always- come after the fix unless the fixer
> refuses to fix.

I know what you mean but Linus didn't accept patch... so don't say that
it was irresponsible etc...

> Read again what I wrote :)
>
> Don't make a big issue of it until the patch is made and available, once it is, spread
> the word far and wide.

But nobody cared about the patch and about the issue...
(but I agree that Andre wasn't clear enough...)

> > IMHO good sysadmin shouldn't be afraid of script-kiddies...
>
> A good sysadmin should be terrified of script kiddies that can mutilate his system and
> he has no way to protect himself because there isn't a fix yet.

I'm talking about Linux/OpenSource world... good sysadmin can fix problem
himself/herself... I _personally_ think that sysadmin without C/hacking
skills can't be a good one...

> > > By carrying on about it for a week, it's a nice honeypot for that malicious kiddie
> > > to search the archives and build a workable exploit to destroy hardware.
> >
> > Andre revealed "exploit" beacause most (all?) of his opponents were too
> > lazy to look at patch and kernel's code and see what it is all about!
>
> Not really. Some of us weren't understanding what he was saying simply due to language
> differences. Andre gets highly upset because he misinterprets what one guy says and
> another guy doesn't understand what Andre means. I understood it rather quickly but
> that doesn't mean everyone correctly interpreted what he was saying.

I agree.

--
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
<bkz@linux-ide.org>