SubjectRe: adding physical memory-pages to Linux' pool-of-pages
** Reply to message from Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@mandrakesoft.mandrakesoft.com> on
Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:39:59 -0500 (CDT)

> > What I want to do is; I have an PCI-card with on-board RAM. I want somehow
> > to tell the kernel that it can use that RAM as if it was any other RAM.
>
> Have you benchmarked accessing system memory versus PCI shared mem?

Yes, the PCI RAM will be very slow compared to normal RAM. I don't think it
will help much. But if you insist, ...

the easiest way is to create another Zone, and modify the zonelist structures
to use that Zone as a backup zone for ZONE_NORMAL. Then, whenever you run out
of normal RAM, it will allocate your PCI RAM.

There's a linux-mm mailing list that might be more useful, if you decide to
pursue this.

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com