SubjectRe: IBM Netvista problem / help
: The keyboard works during BIOS and boot because
: the USB controller is doing legacy device emulation (keyboard
: and mouse).

Great. That's hopeful.

: What processor and chipset does the Netvista have?
: Chipset is especially important: maybe no 8042, SIO....
:
: Assuming i386/x86:

It's x86 but all I have so far is the docs from IBM which aren't very useful.
I'll have to crack it open tomorrow and see if I can determine anything helpful.

: I would have guessed that empty_8042: in linux/arch/i386/boot/setup.S
: was looping forever, but it now has a (long) timeout,
: so my next guess is that the processor can't enable (gate) A20
: ON successfully (depending on the chipset being used).

Uh, when did that timeout go into effect? I think the stock RedHat bootdisk
is based on 2.2.12 but I'll have to check.

: If this patch would fix the Netvista problem, the "problem"
: then is applying the patch and building it on another
: system and then transferring the kernel to the boot disk
: (or boot floppy; does it have a floppy?) of the Netvista.

%$^#@ it, no. I need to dig up a USB floppy and see if that will work or just
dump the bootdisk to another cdrom and try that.

--
Matthew Harrell May the bluebird of happiness
Bit Twiddlers, Inc. twiddle your bits.