SubjectRe: IBM Netvista problem / help
** Reply to message from Matthew Harrell <mharrell@bittwiddlers.com> on Thu, 20
Jul 2000 17:28:51 -0400

> I've got one of these things, model 6645, around the office and I was wondering
> if anyone has any ideas how to get it loaded. I tried booting off my RedHat
> 6.2 cdrom but it hangs right when it's attempting to load and execute the
> kernel. The machine is strange in that it doesn't have a normal PS/2 or AT
> keyboard connector but instead relies on a USB keyboard. The keyboard works
> fine at the lilo prompt so I was wondering if the hanging might be caused by
> the Linux keyboard driver searching for a keyboard? Any ideas?

I don't know anything about this particular machine, but I used to be a BIOS
programmer. Your BIOS should have a setting to enable "legacy USB
keyboard/mouse support". Basically, this makes your USB keyboard look like a
PS/2 keyboard for "legacy" OS's (OS's that don't have USB keyboard drivers). As
soon as the OS loads the USB drivers, the BIOS disables its USB support, and the
OS takes over.

If the OS is loading USB support but not USB keyboard support, that would
explain your problem. Try building a kernel with absolutely no USB support.

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com