    SubjectRe: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?
    Date
    In message <200007141637.JAA14133@pachyderm.pa.dec.com> you write:

    > We suspect that a combination of cramfs and jffs will serve handhelds
    > very well... I can say from first hand experience that compressed ramdisks
    > and/or cramfs gets very old, very quickly: we really want a writable file
    > system, with (read) compression.

    If you've already got a filesystem, may I recommend you drop cramfs,
    and use jffs over readonly compressed loopback? That way you don't
    need the cramfs code (or its in-built limitations), and you get much
    better compression (in fact, despite its cuteness, I believe cramfs is
    the wrong solution for everything). I hacked together a compressed
    loopback one afternoon for the Linuxcare Bootable Business Card: I
    think the source is on the LC site somewhere.

    Several people have fixed bugs in that version of cloop.c, and I'm
    told that it dies badly on SMP; I don't like the block layer at all,
    so I'm not surprised, but someone like Ted can probably fix this with
    a glance...

    Cheers,
    Rusty.
    PS. EMail me and I'll forward you the accumulated (untested) fixes...
    --
    Hacking time.