    SubjectRe: D-Link DFE-570TX: driver issues w/ tulip and de4x5
    On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Anton Ivanov wrote:
    [Snipped...]

    > The F00F maybe? Bug inside?
    > And just a quick long standing wishlist I keep forgetting to post:
    > There are cases when this check may and actually for performance
    > reasons must
    > be happily killed, disabled, whatever. The only way to do so last time I
    > looked was to comment the code out. Having this as a compile option is much
    > cleaner.

    The F00F bug-fix has no affect on performance. The only way it
    will affect performance is if you have defined a special handler for
    illegal opcodes and insist upon putting them into your executable code.

    The bug-fix works by making (marking) the illegal-opcode interrupt
    descriptor "not-present". Therefore, if you execute an illegal op-code,
    the descriptor has to be paged in. This allows the page-fault handler
    to inspect the code. This paging only occurs when an undefined op-code
    exists in the instruction stream.

    Note that 32-bit mode uses interrupt/trap gates, defined by descriptors.
    These descriptors can exist anywhere in physical RAM. They don't have to
    be "in order" like an interrupt table. Therefore, the descriptor for
    the illegal-opcode trap descriptor (only) is put in a page that is
    marked not-present.

    This does waste the rest of the page (RAM), however it does not affect
    performance.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

    obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.022 / U:60.216 seconds]