SubjectRe: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)
On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 03:04:30PM -0700, David Ford wrote:

> Good to hear. I gather from Andre's postings that really a time constraint and
> what needs to be mapped in pci config space.
>
> If I only had another dozen hours in a day..

I'll try to find the bit if it is there. I still don't have enough info
(except for some T13 drafts) on how the 80-wire cable detection works in
hardware. I don't like having to manually configure this either.

It could be the BIOSes just try UDMA66 and if they get CRC errors they
fall back to a lower speed. It could be the BIOS can ask the drive if it
sees an 80-wire cable.

Btw, UDMA mode 3 (44.4 MB/sec) works well even on 40-wire cables and has
not much speed difference to udma66.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs