    SubjectRe: VIA IDE driver, v1.5 (final)
    On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

    > I've seen several BIOSes that detect whether an 80-wire cable is plugged in
    > or not. And when the 80 wire cable is not plugged in, the IDE is slowed
    > down to UDMA-33. Perhaps these settings should be read from the BIOS if no
    > other way is known. I'd also say to default to UDMA-66 as most motherboard
    > that ship with support for it also provide an 80-wire cable.

    NO, I have the death of one disk on my wall of shame because of VIA and
    mistimed. I will not have another dead disk added to a once spotless
    wall. This is foolish. You do not drive 60MPH through a school zone just
    because you do not see kids. There will allows be a lose soccer ball
    popping into the road followed by a child. As there will be systems that
    are U66 fully capable but the ribbon is not present.

    Yeah, this make no sense but neither does defaulting to U66.

    Andre Hedrick
    The Linux ATA/IDE guy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.029 / U:0.396 seconds]