    SubjectDevfs & Hot-Plug BOF & Workshop
      Hi, all. I'm holding a devfs and Hot-Plug BOF at OLS 2000. The BOF
    is scheduled for Friday, 21-Jul at 10am. I've appended the abstract.

    In addition, I'll be holding a half-day working on devfs and HotPlug
    issues. This will be a brainstorming and design session, where
    developers can state what the need, what they'd like and we can
    evaluate solutions. There may even be code written :-)
    The workshop will probably be on Sunday, 23-Jul.

    Devfs and Hot-Plug
    ==================
    Devfs is the Device Filesystem for Linux. It provides an API for
    device drivers to create device nodes for each device attached to the
    system. The devfs namespace is designed to show the topology of
    devices, making it far easier to "navigate" your hardware.

    The recent support for hot-plug buses such as USB and FireWire require
    more sophisticated device management to fully utilise these
    buses. Devfs and its companion, devfsd (the device management daemon)
    provide an excellent solution to the problems of hot-plug support.

    In this BOF I will give a brief overview of the history and
    development of devfs, and summarise other work by USB developers who
    have used devfs+devfsd in their solutions. Following this, there will
    be an open discussion for developers who want to learn how devfs
    works, how to use it and the reasoning behind design choices.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:32.168 seconds]