SubjectRe: Multithreaded TCP/IP stack
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Stephen Torri wrote:

> A friend of mine is critical of linux for not having a multithreaded
> TCP/IP stack. Is that true? If it is not then what kernel version
> introduced it. If it is then when should we expect to see it?

First of all, calling something bad for not using a specific design is
boneheaded. If linux 2.2 could put out a million packets/sec with 50000
tcp connections on a 16mhz 386 with 4megs of ram, but still used a single
threaded TCP stack would Linux be bad?

Of course not, so if you friend doesn't want to be a bonehead, he should
say something like "Linux is not good for X because it fails test Y by
metric Z on playform N"

That said, the 2.3, 2.4test kernels have multithreaded the networking
stack and get better marks on most of the benchmarks people were squaking
about. That doesn't mean that they are always faster for all purposes.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.073 / U:0.388 seconds]