    SubjectRe: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware
    On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > freeze will be in three months, and VFS/VM code freeze will be in 6 weeks.
    > > Sorry, I'd like to see 2.4 ship in three months, but I am hearing people guess
    > > that it won't ship this year, and if they are right maybe we will be best off
    > > admitting it.
    >
    > 6 weeks to fix the VM is too short. But then I think we may have
    > to accept that we dont get the VM perfect until 2.5. We just
    > need to get it back working as well as 2.0 did

    The new VM subsystem will be available as a series of
    "new VM sneak preview" patches. I'll make sure to give
    you one which is stable and works well enough that we
    can integrate it into 2.4 later on (eg at 2.4.10).

    Since VM is basically a performance issue, I don't think
    we should let it hold up 2.4 release. Sure there are some
    minor stability issues in extreme cases, but no more than
    with 2.2 VM.

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/