SubjectRe: Multithreaded TCP/IP stack
On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 01:47:08PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Stephen Torri wrote:
>
> > A friend of mine is critical of linux for not having a
> > multithreaded TCP/IP stack. Is that true? If it is not then
> > what kernel version introduced it. If it is then when should we
> > expect to see it?
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> This is cute. Could you ask your friend what a multi-threaded
> TCP/IP stack is?
>
> His friend probably refers to the locking used by the stack and how
> much concurrency you'll get with multiple processors.
>
> With 2.2.x most of the stack is under a single lock, with 2.4.x
> locking will be such that multiple processors can be in the stack at
> the same time (the performance should be much greater then under high
> load on big SMP boxes).

I have heard over-and-over again by the M$ trained groupies how
M$ is so much better than Linux. This lie exists with any closed-
source. Sun used to say much the same thing until they got smart
and learned from Linux, then actively supported it because it
makes their machines run better.

M$ actually stated several years ago, they they didn't need to use
spin-locks in SMP machines because they invented a special mechanism which
nobody else can use. This means that M$ will always be "superior" because
it doesn't need to use "inferior" spin-locks. I think the "invention" was
to used the second CPU as a heater.

The lies go on.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.15 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.068 / U:0.164 seconds]