    SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency patch
    Hello,

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > This is pretty much "it". I ran it for six hours on a "typical
    > desktop", running X, netscape, Apache, StarOffice, imapd, ftpd,
    > sendmail, fetchmail, etc and the worst-case latency was 3-4 millisecs:

    I've now ran 2.4.0test3+your ll-patches for a couple of days without any
    problems. The test machine is a dual-466celeron dedicated for audio work.
    Benno's latencytest gives excellent results, but I guess this doesn't say
    that much on a SMP box.

    Also, I've done some audio work with my ecasound software (recording,
    mixing, realtime effects processing) and with good results. When running
    SCHED_FIFO, I can do pretty much all tasks with very small buffersizes
    (32-128 samples, 0,7-3,0ms). I've tried to keep the machine busy with at
    least 2-3 running processes all the time. One thing I noted was that when
    doing intensive streaming from disk, my 2.2.12 kernel seems to sometimes
    perform better (UDMA IDE disks, no patches, standard kernel). This is
    probably a disk-i/o issue. All in all, looks good, but this really
    should be tested on a uniprocessor machine. Keep up the good work! :)

    --
    Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
    . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx .