SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency patch

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Andrew Morton wrote:

> This is pretty much "it". I ran it for six hours on a "typical
> desktop", running X, netscape, Apache, StarOffice, imapd, ftpd,
> sendmail, fetchmail, etc and the worst-case latency was 3-4 millisecs:

I've now ran 2.4.0test3+your ll-patches for a couple of days without any
problems. The test machine is a dual-466celeron dedicated for audio work.
Benno's latencytest gives excellent results, but I guess this doesn't say
that much on a SMP box.

Also, I've done some audio work with my ecasound software (recording,
mixing, realtime effects processing) and with good results. When running
SCHED_FIFO, I can do pretty much all tasks with very small buffersizes
(32-128 samples, 0,7-3,0ms). I've tried to keep the machine busy with at
least 2-3 running processes all the time. One thing I noted was that when
doing intensive streaming from disk, my 2.2.12 kernel seems to sometimes
perform better (UDMA IDE disks, no patches, standard kernel). This is
probably a disk-i/o issue. All in all, looks good, but this really
should be tested on a uniprocessor machine. Keep up the good work! :)

Kai Vehmanen <> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
. audio software for linux .. .
. armchair-tunes mp3/wav/ra . .