    SubjectRe: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware
    Linus Torvalds writes:

    > On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
    > >
    > > This kind of lock shifting is a major upheaval. It invalidates any device
    > > driver testing done in the past weeks when we have been slowly moving towards
    > > more stability.
    >
    > I much rather do it now than later. Later means either: (a) during 2.4.x
    > or (b) early in 2.5.x.
    >
    > (a) is obviously impossiblme. 'Nuff said.
    >
    > (b) means that we'll have these subtle incomptibilities between the
    > release kernel and the development kernel, and backporting of fixes
    > etc suddenly becomes much harder.

    But at some point you need to cut a new kernel version and live with
    it.

    > The (b) kind of inconsistency is unavoidable, but I'd rather avoid
    > it for the "mindless" kind of lock movement that affects a lot of
    > drivers and filesystems, yet is basically very simple ("mindless" !=
    > "easy").

    Except it will cost us time and stability. Where do you draw the line?

    Or even better: when will 2.4 be really, really, *really* released?

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.023 / U:0.568 seconds]