    SubjectRe: [Announce] BKL shifting into drivers and filesystems - beware

    On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > This kind of lock shifting is a major upheaval. It invalidates any device
    > driver testing done in the past weeks when we have been slowly moving towards
    > more stability.

    I much rather do it now than later. Later means either: (a) during 2.4.x
    or (b) early in 2.5.x.

    (a) is obviously impossiblme. 'Nuff said.

    (b) means that we'll have these subtle incomptibilities between the
    release kernel and the development kernel, and backporting of fixes etc
    suddenly becomes much harder.

    The (b) kind of inconsistency is unavoidable, but I'd rather avoid it for
    the "mindless" kind of lock movement that affects a lot of drivers and
    filesystems, yet is basically very simple ("mindless" != "easy").

    Right now all the critical file_operations are without the kernel lock.
    There's still stuff like "llseek" etc, but they're not used that much and
    few filesystems/drivers need their own versions, so I think we can ignore
    the ones that are left. We've reached the stage where the whole

    open->read->write->close

    sequence basically works without the kernel lock, and that is important.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.023 / U:0.316 seconds]