    SubjectRe: IBM Rapid Access Keyboard
    On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

    > There is a quite large variety of keyboards these days; putting stuff
    > in the kernel is meaningless. You'll have to use the setkeycodes
    > utility to assign keycodes to these 14 keys. See also

    On the other hand there is a lot of keyboards but very many of them have
    the same buttons. There are usually buttons for starting programs,
    controling a cd-player and some web stuff. It would be easier if at least
    all keyboards with the same sort of keys where mapped to the same
    keycodes.

    A big part of the kernel is about making different hardware
    look the same to the programs. Most of the keyboard you see in stores
    today have a lot of extra buttons. To me that suggest that we should have
    a number of standard keycodes for normal stuff that exists on a lot of the
    hardware (like extra LEDs on keyboards).

    So you suggest I make another program that starts up the keyboard. If it's
    not in the kernel then how do I know that my program does not interfer
    with the kernel. Of course I can just send the codes to port 0x60 but that
    seems brutal.

    /Dennis

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:1.288 seconds]