SubjectRe: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 10:44:06PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Andries Brouwer wrote:
> > >
> > > If a program needs the partition starting point, it can use the
> > > HDIO_GETGEO ioctl which returns a
> > >
> > > struct hd_geometry {
> > > unsigned char heads;
> > > unsigned char sectors;
> > > unsigned short cylinders;
> > > unsigned long start;
> > > };
> >
> > Ah yes, this is what I was looking for. This should be sufficient for
> > the time (at least until 2^32 sectors become an issue (2 TB disks).
>
> Unfortunately it is an issue already today.
> Several people complained to me about problems with a larger
> than 1 TB RAID, where signedness problems start occurring.
> And if 1 TB is used today then 2 TB is very close nearby.
>
> Probably start will have to become a long long, and we need
> an audit of the kernel source to see where things will fail.
> If it turns out that the change is too complicated we can
> get temporary relief by using a larger unit, like 4K blocks
> instead of 512-byte sectors.

Hi Andries,

Have you followed the "GLOBS" model to reduce the addressing size issue?
If I understand this, there will be logical sectors of '512-byte' that
will define a GLOB == N*(512-byte) as the physical sector. I think this
is best described as a 'multiwrite wrapper'. There are sector and
subsector mapping......

It burns a few brain cells to follow this concept but it has a derivative
in AV-Streams.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.129 / U:0.008 seconds]