SubjectRe: Kernel 2.2.14 OOM killer strikes.

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Claudio Martins wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>

> > >Now, whether Netscape should register such a handler is up for debate -
> > >it may very well be the culprit for causing the OOM situation in the
> > >first place. However, it _could_ also free a lot of memory from its
> > >internal cache as well.
> >
> > Yes indeed. Netscape is definitely an OOMish app. It would be
> > nice to be able to say to netscape "hey, give me back 50Mb of RAM
> > you potato!" and have netscape actually do it, assuming it isn't
> > memleaking (yeah right... ;o)
> >

> Hey! That's the real problem! SIGDANGER is a good ideia, but if you're
> going to install a sig handler for every application running, then I don't
> know if it will work at all.

Not only this.

I dont know SIGDANGER well, but for what I've heard about it in this
thread, it is unfair.

A memory hog will cause other processes which has SIGDANGER registered to
free memory, while RSS dynamic limits (when implemented) will make the hog
slower (or killed), instead penalizing "non guilty" processes.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.199 / U:0.136 seconds]