    SubjectRe: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition
    On 8 Jul 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    >Note that the boot block isn't used by the filesystem itself, at least
    >not for ext2. It's worse for FAT, since it's boot block and
    >superblock are co-located, but on the other hand you're much less

    ext2 superblock will be co-located in the same buffer cache object of the
    boot sector if blocksize of ext2 is >1k. That's not a problem with ext2 as
    far as bootloader writes to the same blockdevice that the fs is using
    (since raw device will write inside the fs superblock cache with ext2). It
    become a problem if ext2 is >1k and grub writes to /dev/hda at offset
    512bytes instead of /dev/hda1 at offset zero. I guess most other fs are
    caching the superblock using the buffer cache. (also this
    metadata-superblock/bootsector stuff is not changed in any way between
    2.2.x and 2.4.x).

    Andrea

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:30.444 seconds]