    SubjectRe: PCI probing in slot order?
    Hi Jeff!

    > It would be nice to have devices compiled into the kernel probe in slot
    > order, ie.
    >
    > slot 1 - video card - fbdev/nothing
    > slot 2 - ethernet card - tulip
    > slot 3 - 2nd ethernet card - eepro100
    >
    > However this makes initialization hairy, because you cannot init the
    > hardware at init_module time. For new PCI drivers I think this is an
    > easy problem -- just delay when probe() is called -- but it seems like
    > the new PCI API will need a bit of reworking before slot order probing
    > is possible.

    By the way, what's the advantage in probing in slot order? I guess it
    should be enough to preserve slot order for devices belonging to single
    driver which is exactly what we currently do.

    (Assuming we're speaking of `natural' slot ordering (i.e., by increasing
    value of devfn, not according to slot numbers reported by the PCI BIOS).)

    Have a nice fortnight
    --
    Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> <mj@suse.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
    "Everything counts in large amounts." -- Depeche Mode