SubjectRe: [patch] vsyscall feature
Ingo Molnar <mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu> writes:
> yep - since kernel-entry-less vsyscalls are basically an extension to
> glibc, it's perfectly possible to avoid the intended behavior via
> user-space tricks. Just like it's possible currently to override the _time
> libc function. So anyone who wants to do tricks must either do it at the
> libc level if vsyscalls are use.

Depending on libc-level trickery alone is no good if complete control of a
(possibly rogue) user program is required. I think there still needs to be a
way (maybe a ptrace call?) to disable this.

> Also, since this is fully under the
> control of the kernel, it can be disabled (via a kernel recompile and/or
> kernel patch) without impacting any application.

I really hope the disable operation can go in the production kernel by
default. Won't it just be a few lines of code?

--
Any sufficiently adverse technology is indistinguishable from Microsoft.