SubjectRe: PNP design philosophy?
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Peter Rasmussen wrote:

>>> If you want to split hairs I could say I don't know what architecture your
>>> i686 is? One of the architectures in the standard Linux kernel tree is
>>> listed as "i386" (without the quotes), but there is no i686.
>>
>>Was not splitting hairs. If somebody has a problem, it helps to be
>>specific.
>>
>And how is mentioning a machine as i386 when asking about Linux kernel code not
>specific?

It is specific. I read it as a 386 system. i486 is a 486
system.

And how would saying ix86 making it more specific?

Actually, "x86" or "ia32" are the appropriate terms. If you are
refering to the Intel 32 bit linux port (or original depending on
your viewpoint and level of pragmatism), it is _mislabeled_
"i386" for legacy reasons. Calling your machine an
"i386" because of the name linux gives it architecturally is a
good way to be misunderstood. Use "x86" or "ia32" to refer to
Intel architecture as opposed to sparc/alpha, etc..

If you refer to your exact CPU, use "i386", "i486", "Pentium",
"Pentium III". That way there are no ambiguities.

Saying you have an i386 system with AGP certainly is very very
very odd in my book, and I would question it the same way.

Clarification is the key to proper communication. Garbage in,
Garbage out.

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

Suspicious Anagram #4:
Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA
Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.280 / U:0.020 seconds]