SubjectRe: ipchains and pppd
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Riley Williams wrote:

>Is there anybody here that can advise me regarding either pppd or
>ipchains, or better still both?
>
>Problem 1: I have pppd set up to dial out on my modem /dev/ttyS2
> using wvdial as the dialling engine. How do I set the
> system up to allow dial-in on the SAME port using the
> auto-PPP authentication and switching?

Check out the various Serial HOWTO's, PPP HOWTO, and other
similarly named howto's. I set up the above using one of the
HOWTO's before, but I can't remember exactly which one.

>Problem 2: I have been able to set up kernel 2.2.12 to forward IP
> traffic by masquerading it as itself. How do I set it
> up WITHOUT the masquerading?

Huh? I don't exactly understand the question... But for IP
forwarding, you generally just:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
and then ensure the route's are added properly. I don't
understand your IP masquerade problem.

>The problems relate to different computers, both configured with
>RedHat 6.1 and using the kernels as supplied, without compiling
>any special kernels.
>
>Any advice much appreciated...

You might also want to try the ipchains mailing list:

ipchains@rustcorp.com

Good list.
TTYL

--