    SubjectRe: Linux responsiveness under heavy load
    Khimenko Victor wrote:
    > Even if in mentined samples kernel used more CPU more extensively then
    > all userspace processes combined still there were LOTS of CPU power free
    > to use. Real bottleneck is I/O :-/ And Linux is not good in this area
    > (especially with bad hardware like EIDE). 2.2 is better then 2.0, 2.3 is
    > better then 2.2 but steel cursor is not moving smoothly mcedit on
    > console (no X!) when there are paraller kernel and xfree86 compilation in
    > background ...

    A larger boost to keep-the-page-in-memory priority for pages referenced
    by "interactive" processes might be in order. Either faster vmscanning
    simply a higher priority for pages found to be used. Might not be too
    hard to implement either.

    A larger priority for page-in I/O due to interactive process too might
    help too. Some modification of Andrea's elevator. But that doesn't
    seem so easy.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.019 / U:4.924 seconds]