    SubjectRe: /proc cleanup proposal
    On 7 Mar 2000 wrote:

    > With a major number change, we can blow away the current /proc
    > structure, and replace it with something that works...

    Why is it more acceptable to break large amount of userspace code
    just because of a major version change?

    Yes, current /proc is a little ugly (internally[0] and externally)
    doesn't mean that it doesn't work. I'm slightly biased because I
    didn't have to write "ps" , but the current /proc works fine for my
    purposes and, I suspect, most peoples'.

    > Just off the top of my head, I'd like to see this major stucture
    > (names can be changed if needed, it's the structure that counts)

    A generic interface might seem a nice idea, but are we really going
    to add enough buses (with worthwhile /proc interfaces) to make a
    proc_bus_register() really worthwhile?

    [0] Though I haven't really looked at the tidier state in 2.3

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.021 / U:15.532 seconds]