SubjectRe: Help in DSM design

> That turns out not to be the case. It was exactly this granularity
> problem which killed the only machine I'm aware of which did DSM in
> hardware (the Kendall Square boxes --- and how many people here have
> heard of that one? :)

The KSR boxes aren't the only h/w DSM systems - NUMA boxes today
(Origin for one) also do DSM. Both add that additional level of
locality that a performance conscious application needs to exploit;
agreed that KSR was the only one to have caching at the remote
memory to local memory level (with a page size granularity).
A DSM system could look very much like the current NUMA h/w with
an added remote-local memory caching happening at application specific
granularity. The main issue there is getting access control at
the desired granularity for the s/w DSM layer - which in a way
the current OS dictates to be a page size; and yeah! unfortunately
there are many smart solutions around that one that I'm aware of :-)

:a