    SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.15pre12 [VM fixes]
    On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, James Manning wrote:

    >[ Monday, March 6, 2000 ] Mike A. Harris wrote:
    >> On Sun, 5 Mar 2000, James Manning wrote:
    >> >If the case isn't this clear-cut, though, I think killing by pid
    >> >(highest->lowest) may be a decent hueristic since the most important
    >> >processes (init, loggers, etc) tend to be long-running ones started
    >> >early so they maintain pid's < 100.
    >>
    >> Maybe 15 years ago. I'm running RedHat 6.1, and after the system
    >> starts up most persistant daemons have PID's in the 300-1000
    >> range. I would suspect it would be similar for other dists as
    >> well.
    >
    >my point being that since they started up before other things their
    >pid's will be lower. Yes pid's can wrap, but that's why it's called
    >a heuristic. Did you actually have anything useful to say?

    Sorry.. didn't mean to offend anyone.. I'm not refering to PID
    wrap here, I'm refering to a freshly booted system in which once
    everything is up and running, the lowest PID of a running service
    is 300 to 600 or more. Nothing under 100 except kernel threads.

    3 root@asdf:/stuff# ps ax
    PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
    1 ? S 0:05 init
    2 ? SW 3:44 [kflushd]
    3 ? SW 0:17 [kupdate]
    4 ? SW 0:16 [kpiod]
    5 ? SW 1:06 [kswapd]
    356 ? S 0:06 syslogd -m 0
    367 ? SW 0:00 [klogd]
    383 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/atd
    399 ? S 0:00 crond
    415 ? SW 0:00 [inetd]
    424 ? S 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd

    Assuming or generalizing things will be at certain PID's or below
    certain PID's is very bad because it is 99% unpredicatable. That
    is the important thing that I had to say - put into more verbose
    terms for those that couldn't derive it..

    Again, sorry if I was a bit brief about it...

    take care,
    TTYL

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
    Computer Consultant GNU advocate

    Suspicious Anagram #4:
    Word: PRESIDENT CLINTON OF THE USA
    Anagram: TO COPULATE HE FINDS INTERNS

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.023 / U:1.776 seconds]