    SubjectRe: Help in DSM design
    On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
    >

    > > Ach! Not another DSM project :-( Don't do it. There's already a DSM
    >
    > [dsm horror story]

    I swore I would avoid this argument but ...

    look, there's DSMs and there's DSMs. And there's different types of
    applications. I've done a fair number of parallel apps and there are cases
    where you can use DSM, and cases where you can't and you use message
    passing. I can point to failures with both models.

    You want to see failures with DSM, you'll find 'em, because people do
    stupid things with them. That doesn't automatically condemn the
    technology, it just means it's not universal (what is?).

    You want to see a few successes, well, look at my web page and check the
    papers.

    ron

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.018 / U:0.288 seconds]