SubjectRe: Help in DSM design
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> >

> > > Ach! Not another DSM project :-( Don't do it. There's already a DSM
> >
> > [dsm horror story]
>
> I swore I would avoid this argument but ...
>
> look, there's DSMs and there's DSMs. And there's different types of
> applications. I've done a fair number of parallel apps and there are cases
> where you can use DSM, and cases where you can't and you use message
> passing. I can point to failures with both models.
>
> You want to see failures with DSM, you'll find 'em, because people do
> stupid things with them. That doesn't automatically condemn the
> technology, it just means it's not universal (what is?).
>
> You want to see a few successes, well, look at my web page and check the
> papers.

Don't get all bent out of shape. The point is that if you don't need
DSM (i.e., Customer requirement), it's not a very good idea to use it.

There are many "papers", mostly written by those who "finally got
something to work...", that will show the greatness of practically
anything. Reference: "Stockholm Syndrome".

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.063 / U:0.344 seconds]