SubjectRe: ext3 status?
Hi,

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000 09:44:12 +0000 (GMT), Riley Williams
<rhw@memalpha.cx> said:

>> I am assuming that the journal is being handled as a file
>> (since it's represented as an inode), so after the convert,
>> if I create the journal file empty, or not at all, EXT3
>> will auto-create it the first time the volume is mounted?

> If my memory's correct, ext3 will ignore a partition without a
> journal and let it drop through to ext2.

Yes. It will fail to mount a journal-less partition (unless you have
created a new journal file and have asked for it to be initialised).
For the root filesystem, the kernel will then automatically try ext2
instead.

> I believe ext3 requires that the journal file occupies 12k (three
> 4k memory pages) of CONSECUTIVE disk space, and your conversion
> would need to locate and allocate that for ext3 conversion to
> work.

No. I've no idea where you got that idea from! 12k isn't a special
size at all to journaling.

The journal will work more efficiently if it is contiguous, but you can
make it any size you want, anywhere on the disk. It should be at least
1024 blocks long.

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.072 / U:0.016 seconds]