SubjectRe: HIGH MEMORY access
Date

nathan.zook@amd.com wrote:

> Oh the joys of an inadequate spec! Sounds like it might be time for Smart
> Reclaim(tm). Oh well. It will get worse.

I suspect that mapping roms and acpi memory into the regular memory
segment might not be the most optimal way of doing things. The PCI
code, once upon a time (and still?) set up their own memory segment
to get at pci stuff that was in awkward places; this might be a
good solution to mismatches between Linux's memory model and the way
vendors might scatter things around in memory.

> And those Award bioses are the ones that dropped e801.

Quite possibly. I'm pretty some of the older award bioses still did
e801, but since I wrote the fancy memory detection code e801 and 88
could both set the motherboard on fire and I'd never know until the
fire department arrives.

____
david parsons \bi/ I'm not expecting any of the new Award bioses are likely
\/ to ever spontaneously backport to any of my 366s, either.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:56    [W:0.031 / U:0.424 seconds]