    SubjectRe: Answer (Re: Cylinder limits jumper for drives over 32GB)
    On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > Andre... what we're trying to figure out if there is a way to this
    > *TRANSIENTLY*, so that a reset will set it back to the old value.
    >
    > However, if plugging in manual values in the BIOS works then that's
    > probably the recommended way, unless there really is an easy way to work
    > around.
    >
    > Remember... most hardware/firmware is broken. Part of what makes a good
    > OS is to work with broken hardware without sacrificing working with
    > properly working hardware. God knows I've messed lots with BIOS bugs.

    Peter,

    Please trust that I know the world is full of broken hardware, and even
    if you follow the exact OEM directions for the hardware, it still can go
    wrong. I see some of the worst night/day-mares in ATA hardware than
    anyone can imagine.

    There is only three possible solutions for the 05/14/99 (and older) AWARD
    BIOS problem........

    1) Users purchase an ADD-ON card that will handle the large drives.

    2) Users issues a bogus geometry to the BIOS and we ignore it and use the
    entire disk.

    3) Users runs OEM capacity shrinking tool. Depend on Linux to issue
    READ/SET_MAX_ADDRESS and update the values "soft" and not clobber the
    "protected memory area". In principle, a reboot/power-cycle will revert
    the capacity back to 32GB so that one may reboot with out a hang.

    This is the preferred order in my book.

    FYI, I am working with the ADD-ON card manufacturers to get them to
    correct their BIOS code to prevent this problem.

    Cheers,

    Andre Hedrick
    The Linux ATA/IDE guy

    I only got wierded out because of potential partition fragmentation if any
    goes wrong.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:0.136 seconds]