SubjectRe: NWFS Source Code Posted at 207.109.151.240

Pavel,

Oh Yeah, and I almost forgot. Remember those emails I sent you 6 months
ago. The one's asking for your help with creating an md driver for the
NetWare mirroring so I didn't have to replicate a NetWare style LRU so I
could tightly integrate NWFS with the Linux Buffer Cache and md (in
fact, I even was willing to give you the nwvp code and sent it to you so
you could put it into the current RAID driver)?

Did you ever respond. NO ......

How many emails did I send you? Was it seven or eight?

Did you answer any of them. NO .......

If you are still interested in doing what I suggested, unlike you, I
will answer your emails and help you take over the code (and let you
control it for Linux) so Linux will be able to enter Novell's market
with a tighter implementation.

Think about it ......

:-) :-) :-).

Touche .....

Jeff

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >

> > I did not read the sources, but putting additional abstraction layers
> > is considered evil... I don't think you can push nwfs into linus's
> > tree with
>
> < design like that >.
>
> It's a design that Novell uses to gross more $$$$$$$ routinely in one
> month than Linux has brought in with all the Linux companies revenues
> combined in the past five years. :-)
>
> It is fine for occasional access of nwfs
> > drives, through.
> > Pavel
> > --
> >

> Dear Pavel,
>
> Wasn't trying to push anything, there are lots of people who want
> NetWare stuff, just trying to make Linux more attractive to Novell's
> 9,000,000 server installed base and get the NetWare file system on Linux
> out the door. You guys are always welcome to carve up NWFS like a
> christmas turkey and chunk the pieces that don't make sense for Linux
> moving forward. You'll find I'm not too religious about the sanctity of
> my own code, I'd rather be a contributor and team player with you guys.
> :-)
>
> With the page cache, the file systems in Linux are more or less reduced
> to meta-data drivers (very similiar to where NT is at today). The extra
> layers are not really all that heavy, and are there to support our
> clustering stuff (which we will open source as well). Most of them use
> fast paths in the code (which you will see if you take the time to look
> at it). Unlike most of the File System code in Linux, NWFS has
> COMMENTS, NOTES, EXPLANATIONS, DETAILED TECHNICAL INFO, etc. :-)
>
> You guys might learn something by looking at it. I am right at this
> moment staring at the NCPFS code in 2.3.99Pre3 since there is NO
> DOCUMENTATION ON THE PAGE CACHE, DCACHE, VFS or anything else here to
> help besides pouring over source code. :-)
>
> Don't knock NetWare til you try it. :-)
>
> Your friend,
>
> Jeff
>
> I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't
> care."
> > Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss@linmodems.org
> >
> > -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.164 / U:0.044 seconds]