    SubjectRe: [Announce][CFT] loopback mounts and stuff

    > Nice patches! Ron Minnich <> and I built a few similar
    > things:
    > - imount is a system call we added. It implements private namespaces by
    > combining a "mount without mountpoint" with a chroot operation. This
    > allows a user to sit in an "invisible jail" (perhaps Alcatraz would be a
    > good name.).
    > - memdev is a new block device, simpler, but similar to Sysv memfs. It
    > changes a memory region (such as an mmapped file or device) into a block
    > device. With PRIVATE mappings of "/" we built a "jail" where some file
    > systems became copy on write, backed by swap. Others were mounted as
    > InterMezzo and gave a "channel" out.
    > The purpose of this was to provide a user environment that leaves the
    > machine pretty clean: "Take nothing but cycles, leave nothing but swap
    > prints" (from the National Park slogan: "Take nothing but pictures, leave
    > nothing but footprints").

    Hmm, that looks nice. What are you building, sandbox?

    Am I right that from now on each process can have completely different
    view of filesystem like in plan9?
    I'm "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
    Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:6.228 seconds]