Subjectclosing socket causes kernel hang - any suggestions?
Date
Any suggested work-arounds or confirmations that this is a known bug would
be helpful...

I manage a linux box that runs a private application and takes connections
from all over the world. It freezes regularly after the connection between
the server and the internet goes down.

As near as I can tell from the logs, the freeze occurs right about the time
that our application gives up on those clients and tries to close a socket
that was connected prior to the ISP problem.

Our application would have continued to write data to that socket up until
giving up on it, so the send queue was definitely filling up. I'd be
surprised if it got completely full, but that's definitely possible.

I've tried to recreate this problem in a controlled test environment by
recreating these circumstances as much as possible (by unplugging the
ethernet cable on a test server), but I've been unable to do so.

Kernel version 2.2.12 with software raid. Server is a Dell PowerEdge 2400
with ONE cpu and the built-in Intel EtherExpress 10/100 NIC.

Is this a bug that anyone else has seen? Does this help narrow down other
people's freezes / panics so that hopefully we can work towards a bug fix?

Any suggested workarounds are welcome.