    SubjectRe: Is ReiserFS really a journaling file system, or is it really just a synchronous-metadata file system like BSD FFS?

    On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 06:00:33PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > Okay, I do have a question. There are a *number* of applications in
    > which it is far better to lose a file than having a file which looks
    > correct but contains bad data. is such as application.
    > What would be the proper kind of filesystem to run?

    That's an application problem. For, you may well have
    multi-megabyte files which are created gradually over quite some
    time as ftp uploads take place: do you expect the filesystem to be
    able to tell the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful
    upload and delete the file if it went wrong?

    In this sort of case, you want the application to create a temporary
    file, fsync it, and then rename it to its final destination if you
    want the consistency of the final file to be guaranteed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:179.136 seconds]